Flashback

Recognizing the genuine need to further the cause of women’s education, Dr. K.N.V.Sastri (1895-1984), noted scholar, author and Professor in the area of Indian History and Politics – envisioned an exclusive women’s degree college in the northern part of Bangalore. The outcome of his vision was the establishment of MAHARANI LAKSHMI AMMANNI COLLEGE FOR WOMEN,   with Dr.M.N.Mahadevan as Founder President and Sri T.S.Rajam as Vice president, and Dr. K.N.V.Sastri as Founder–Director-cum-Coordinator. With a strength of just 12 girls, the College affiliated to Bangalore University, started functioning from 1972 in the building of the nearby Government Boys’ School. Smt.M.C.Vedavalli became the first Principal and steered the institution firmly towards the consolidation of the founders’ vision.

In the initial phase the college faced severe constraint of space. The classes were accommodated in three rooms; the principal’s office, the administration/ accounts section,   the staff room and the library were all housed together in a single room. The practicals of different subjects were often conducted simultaneously in cramped space. Overcoming these initial hurdles the college acquired its own land in 1978 with the generous support of the then Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri. Devaraj Urs. The present location of the college is in a highly academic ambience, with a number of educational institutions in its vicinity- the most prominent of them being the prestigious Indian Institute of Science. In fact our founder Dr. K. N. V. Sastri often said that the proximity of IISc would be a source of inspiration to our students to pursue their academic careers in the field of science, thus contributing to the needs of India. Incidentally when the college was started, it was called“Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College of Science with Arts”. Some of our students have pursued research in IISc, thus fulfilling the dreams of the founder of the institution.

In the three decades of its existence, the strength of the college has grown phenomenally and is now around 4000 (1900 of them being UG students). Over the years the college has developed excellent infrastructure making optimum use of the available space,to provide the best facilities for the multidimensional growth of the students.

The college has constantly endeavored to impart practically valuable and value-based education for the all-round development of the young women who enter its portals.Responding dynamically to the fast changing expectations of students and employers, the college strives to provide superior facilities and excellent human resources. It is also renowned for its discipline and its efficient handling of its students in their adolescent and formative years. The leadership of the management, the dynamism of the principal, the team work and commitment of the teachers, the support of the non-teaching staff and the accomplishments of the alumni have made the college one of the premier institutions of Bangalore.