Department of Journalism
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Journalism department will impart a significant and practical education to the students, it emphasizes them to learn innovative and other new media technologies, the dept. will strive hard to prepare the students for professional and personal achievement.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To enhance confident Communicators
- To promote responsible Journalists
- To provide excellence education on fundamental concepts, skills and values with respect to media
- To inculcate hands on skill based training to students
- To promote an understanding of ethical and legal implication of media
- To provide audio visual communication facility through a well-equipped Media Lab
- To collaborate with media houses
The Journalism Department of mLAC became functional in the academic year 2004-2005 with 18 students. The combination offered was B.A. in Sociology, Kannada and journalism (SKJ). Moving forward, B.A. in PJS (Psychology, Journalism and Sociology) was also introduced. Currently, admissions to the first year has seen an almost cent percent increase.
In a nutshell, the forte of Journalism is dealing with various opinions expressed by numerous individuals. The Department is leaving no stone un-turned when it comes to equipping students with the required skills to move forward in the media industry. This is accomplished through a wholesome development programme.
Some of the methods adopted by the Department to make the course lively, educative and confidence-building include:
- Extra teaching hours to include interaction on current events
- Reporting/Interviewing assignments
- Regular paper presentation on subject matter and current events which aims at building self-confidence
- Interactive lectures by working journalists
- Reporting, Editing and page layouts for laboratory journals
- Internships in various newspapers/TV channels
- Visits to both Print and Electronic Media centres
- Organizing seminars/Workshops
- Attending seminars/workshops/fests in other colleges
Some of the Initiatives undertaken by the Department in 2019 -2020 are:
- Introduction of Journalism Practical Lab
- A Certificate Course in Television Anchoring (TV Anchoring)
- Add-on courses in Page Layout and Design , Photoshop
- Guidance to work on Photo magazine - Travelogues
- Documentary/Short Video making- Breast Cancer, Media Visit
- Ensuring that students attended workshops at the District level
- One day intercollegiate workshop on “Changing Trends in Reporting and New Age Media” in association with Eye 4 Media Pvt. Ltd. on 05-02-20. Experts included Vijayalakshmi Shibaruru, Alvin M, Deepika Parivar, Natraj Karanth.
2017 onward: Media visits: Press, Radio & TV:
- Department of Journalism organized media visit to Munnar, Cochin & Alleppey-Manorama TV, Cochin & St. Joseph College of Communication, Alleppey on 07th - 09th May 2023.
- Visted Prajavani/Deccan Herald printing press- Kumbulgodu on 13th August 2022.
- Department organized a studio visit to VISTARA Channel on 30th July 2022. To know the functioning and structure of a studio as a hands-on experience
- Department organized a media visit for Multi-media studio, Community radio & Theatre art at SDM College, Ujire from 31st May to 2nd June 2022.
- Visit to MICA (Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad) MICA Vaani, a community radio center on 3rd December 2019 and Visit to News 18 Gujarati on 4th December, 2019
- Media Visit to Prajavani Printing Press by final year students on 10th October 2019 which is located at Kumabalgodu industrial area Bangalore.
- The 14 students were sent to Prasar Bharati All India Radio and Doordarshan Kendra, Bangalore on 7th and 8th of February, 2019 III BA Journalism students visited and actively participated in the Youth programme.
- Media Visit to Goa, visit to All India Radio and Goa 24x7 news channel 04-08 December 2018.
- Media tour to Mumbai-Pune Visit To Prasara Bharati ( Doordharshan All India Radio and Press 13-19 January 2018
- Media tour to Hyderabad Visit To Prasara Bharati ( Doordharshan All India Radio, Press and Ramoji film City Feb 2017
Hands-on Experience to students :
- Students attended a workshop on Fact-checking at the Bangalore Press Club on 29th April 2023
- Students of Journalism visited to Vidhana Soudha for parliamentary sessions on 23rd February 2023.
- Students have done the college documentary and coverage of various events in the College.
- Add-on course on Page Layout and Design for Journalism students by Mr. B S Narayana Swamy Journalist and Author, Editor and Publisher of BUSINESS GURU Kannada magazine.
- Journalism Students were sent to Digvijaya Kannada channel, had an interaction with the soldier’s family and a tele communication with a soldier from Jammu and Kashmir and a conversation with family members from Mandya who lost her husband in Pulwama attack on 21st February 2019
- Interactive session with media experts (Journalist) at Media Awards for Journalists 2019
- The New Indian Times organized an award function for the Journalist and media experts Date: 20th July 2019
- Celebrity Interview: Ms. Thanushree had got an opportunity to interview the celebrity Mr.Rana Daggubati Telugu film industry the same was published in the newspaper 2017
- Students interaction with celebrity PrakashRai, actor, director and producer 2017
Training for students:
- Media club activity for Journalism students was conducted by Kannanda Prabha newspaper and Suvarna news channel the program was done by Mr.Harish Gowda Marketing head and Mr.Sanjay on 11th July 2018
- Milestone Coaching Training centre, had a program regarding IAS Coaching classes and training for Competitive exams by Prem (Trainer) on 30th July 2018
- Department of Journalism organized a "Anchoring and Television Scriptwriting" workshop by VJ Manoj - Anchor- Udaya Music & Actor, For open Open Elective students on 14th & 15th November 2022.
- Department of Journalism organized a “Photography and Videography” workshop by Neeraj S Ainapur –Film Director and Entrepreneur –founder ENGRAND studio, for Open Elective students on 1st & 2nd August 2022.
- Students attended a two-day workshop on Audio – Video Production, Photography and Videography organized by Christ University on the 7th and 8th October 2021.
Internship: 2016 Onwards
- Akahalya & Mamatha final year student of Journalism participated Internship Program on Digital Marketing, Editing, Photography, Report writing, Script writing, Anchoring, Podcasting & Cinematography at St. Pauls College from 24th March to 12th April 2023
- Nitu Parjuli,, Akahalya & Jaya Sharma attended an internship in Manomay TV on Content creation, Editing & Anchoring for 3 months ( Feb 1st - 5th May 2023.)
- Students attended internship programmes in Bangalore Mirror on content creation and editing from 29th September to 22nd October 2021.
- Students of BA (PJS) final year students attended Internship Program at St. Pauls College from 24th April to 4Th May 2022
- Department assign students to various TV channels like Public TV, SuvarnaNews 24x7, Samaya, for a month’s internship
- Tanushree.V.L, Mamatha .N, Harshitha worked in digital desk (News Reporting, Editing and Field Work) Public TV 2017-2018
- Ms. Thanushree, Bangalore Mirror, 7th August 2017 to 9th September 2017
Guest Lectures/Invited Talks on : 2016 onwards
Guest Lectures – Department organizes guest lectures on various topics inviting subject and media expertise like Development Journalist (Ishwar Daitota), Journalist (Harish Madhyastha), AIR, PRO, News Editor (Mr. A.S Narayana Rao), Film Maker (Prashanth Malur), Author, Voice over artist (Rajesh Shetty), Investigative Journalist ( Vijayalakshmi Shibaroor) Editor (Vishveshwar Bhat) and Anchor (Amar Prasad)
Details of Guest Lectures
- Guest lecture on “Media Parliament” by Gnanashekar –Parliament Guide on 29th July 2022.
- Organized a virtual session on Live Studio Streaming from REVA Studio Center, REVA University, for Open Elective and Journalism students, the resource person was Prof. Manjunatha .M, Coordinator, Media Studies, REVA University on 26th July 2022.
- Guest Lecture on “TV Anchoring” by VJ Manoj –Anchor in Udaya music & Actor “Radio Talk and Podcast” by Imran Pasha –Anchor, Producer in Udaya music & Actor on 19th February 2022.
- Guest lecture on “Scriptwriting for Television” by Vijayalakshmi Shibarooru on 21st December 2021.
- Interaction on “Career opportunities in electronic media” by Deepthi Tholpady Senior reporter, Dighvijiya news and “Challenges faced by present day Journalism” by Bhagya , Journalist TV9 on 24th November 2021.
- Interactive session on “Responsibilities and Ethics of Journalists” by Rohini Swamy - CEO Kasthuri Channels and Entertainment former Associated Editor at The print on 24th November 2021
- Webinar on “Career Opportunities on Corporate Communication and Public Relation” by Ms Reenakshi Uniyal Soni on 14th July 2021.
- Interactive session on “New Technology: Changing Patterns in content and Viewership” by Mr. Prakash Belawadi on 13th July 2021
- Journalism Dept. organized a e-lecture on “Programming Pattern of Private and State-Owned Channels “, the resource person was Mr. Thyagaraj Ravichandra, Creative Consultant SIRI KANNADA on 29th December 2020.
- Dept. of Journalism organized a virtual session on Live Studio Streaming from REVA Studio Center, REVA University , the resource person was Prof. Manjunatha .M, Coordinator, Media Studies, REVA University on 29th October 2020.
- Organized Virtual Meet on “Career Opportunities and Challenges in Media” on 16th May 2020, the resource persons are Mr. Sagay Raj, Senior correspondent, Republic TV and Prof. Manjunatha. M, Coordinator, Media Studies REVA University.
- A guest lecture on Madhyama Manasu,(Media Mind) by Vishweshwar Bhat, chief editor of Vishwavani on 30th August 2019
- Two media experts Smt. Vijayalaksmi Shibaroor, Investigate Journalist and Mr. Dilawar Ramaduga, Prajawani, for the interactive session on CBCS to enhance employability,organized on 9th September 2019.
- Guest Lecture by Investigative Journalist, Vijayalakshmi shibaroor on Investigative Journalism on 09-10- 2019.
- Mr. Gourish Akki, Journalist, Television news Anchor, Kannada Film Director and Actor has invited to deliver a lecture on Digital Media: Challenges and Opportunities for BA Journalism Students on 5th March 2019.
- Mr. Shantharaju.S, Asst. Professor, Christ University, Bangalorehas invited to deliver a lecture on Starting of a TV channel and radio station, Organisational structure of radio and TV studio for III BA Journalism Students on 02nd April 2018.
- Mr. Manjunath.M, Asst. Professor, Reva University was invited to deliver a lecture on Starting of a Television Channel and Radio Station on 21st March 2017.
- A lecture and demonstration programme on “Page Layout and Design” was held on September 15, 2016 at mLAC. Mr.VeeraNarayana, the founder of magazine “Business Guru” and Business Guru Training Centre, delivered a lecture on this concept and its benefits.
- Mr. A.S Narayana Rao, News Editor, Prajavani is invited to delivered a lecture on TRANSLATION for Journalism Students on 15th September 2016.
- “YES! I am the CHANGE” – The making of short films One-day workshop by 'YES Foundation' on 11thAugust, 2016. The workshop was facilitated by Mr.Pankaj Kumar Singh, the Managing Director of YES Foundation (YF) and Mr.AnshuDalta, a member of film making team at YES Foundation.
- Rajesh Shetty, Programme Producer, TV9 demonstrated on Voice over with video Clippings on 18th August 2015
- Harish Madhyastha , Journalist, delivered lecture on Television Past, Present and Future and Career Opportunities for Students on 11 August 2015
- Prof Prashanth Malur, Asst. Professor, Dept of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Manipal University, Bangalore, delivered a lecture on Film Production and trends in Indian cinema on March 11, 2015.
- Ishwar Daitota, Independent Journalist delivered a lecture on Small Newspapers and their Problems on 25 February 2014
Placements in Reputed Media:
Placed in reputed print and electronic media (TV9, TV5, TV1, Digvijaya, BTV, power TV, DD, Prajavani, Vijay Karnataka)
1. Sumalatha Reporter Prajavani
2 Bhargavi Reporter Vijay Karnataka
3 Deepthi Tholpady Reporter VRL Media -Hossa News, Kannada news channel
4. Vidya sub editor Kasturi News 24
5. Shwetha Segment Writer Kasturi News 24
6. Hema Film Reporter B TV
7. Chandrika Reporter Raj News Kannada
8. Bhagya Reporter TV9
9.swathi Reporter Power TV
10. Ashwini Reporter TV5
11.Kavya Production DD
12.Usha paramesh Tele serial artist (Ashwini Nakshatra) ETV
13. Actress Tamil and Kannada film Industry
Students pursuing Higher Studies
1. Rachana REVA University 2019-2020
2. Sitara, Amrutha, Shweth. P.B Bangalore University PG (Electronic Media)
3. Meena, Pragathi NMKRV college for women Mass Communication
Vinitha Bangalore University PG (Electronic Media) 2016 -2017
4. Kavya, Swathi, Chaitanya, Megha, Leelashree Bangalore University PG (Electronic Media) 05 2016
1. Shruthi Radio Jockey (RJ) 3nd prize Mahajana College, Mysore, 2012
2. Shree Raksha,Shruthi,Rekha : News Reading 2nd Prize Mahajana College, Mysore, 2012
3. Spoorthy,Almas Banu: Advertising 1st Prize Kristu Jayanthi 2014
4. Spoorthy Quiz 1st Prize Baldwin Women’s Methodist College, 2013
5. Spoorthy Debate 3rd Prize Baldwin Women’s Methodist College, 2013
6. Neeharika,Megha,ChrisithaFashion Show 1st Prize Acharya Institute of Graduate Studies 2014
7. Megha .S & Neeharika Madhusudan Collage Inter-collegiate fest BMS College Feb, 2016
8. Tejashwini , Pooja I BA, Mamatha, Amrutha, II BA Harshitha News Reading
I Prize St. Anne’s College Inter-collegiate fest, 27th Feb 2017
9. Tejashwini RJ I Prize KLE college, Inter-collegiate fest , 4th March 2017
10. Chandrakala, Maheswari Netball and kabbadi State/University level/National
Chandrakala and few others Debate Competition KLE College, State Level
11. Ms. Thanushree Celebrity interview Rana Daggubati Published articles in Bangalore Mirror on 8th August 2017
Course Outcomes – BA Journalism
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I [CO1.1: Become media literate by understanding the core concepts of communication.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I [CO1.2 Acquire an understanding of basic communication using technologies.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I [CO1.3: Acquire different dimensions and understand the relevant related studies of the society through the knowledge of communication concepts.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I [CO1.4 Gain insight into innovative knowledge to lead and overlook in the different levels of thoughts and responsibility towards the community through new communication technology.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I [CO1.5: Prepare effective professional presentations.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I - Praticals [CO1: Gain insight into innovative knowledge to lead and overlook in the different levels of thoughts and responsibility towards the community through new communication technology.]
I SEMESTER Introduction to Communication Paper I - Praticals [CO2: Prepare effective professional presentations]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 [CO2.1: Develop Media skills.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 [CO2.2 Analyse the emerging trends in printing and contents in mass media.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 [CO2.3: Enhance the knowledge of the role of media in society and understand its critical role in various aspects.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 [CO2.4: Acquire practical skills of content analysis and wallpaper making.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 [CO2.5: Understand the various regional print media components.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 - Praticals [CO1: Acquire practical skills of content analysis and wall paper making]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 - Praticals [CO2: Understand the various regional print media components.]
SEMESTER IIFundamentals of Journalism Paper 2 - Praticals [CO3: Create and design newsletters.]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 [CO3.1: Create and design emerging media products, including blogs, digital audio, digital video, social media, and digital photography.]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 [CO3.2: Be well equipped in RJ, Script writing, Film analysis and review, short video documentary, create YouTube content etc]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 [CO3.3 Understand the history and basics of Electronic media /online media.]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 [CO3.4: Excel in the field of TV and Radio production, commercials, film makers, digital distributors etc.]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 [CO3.5: Have an insight into various types of radio and TV programs]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 Praticals [CO1: Create and design emerging media products, including blogs, digital audio, digital video, social media, and digital photography.]
SEMESTER III Audio Visual Media Paper 3 Praticals [CO2: Be well equipped in RJ, Script writing, Film analysis and review, Short video documentary, create YouTube content etc]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 [CO4.1: Understand the importance of ethical values, awareness, Media Law, Media Act, Media issues and its application in professional life.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 [CO4.2: Comprehend the Role of Press in democratic society, importance of freedom of press and impact of media.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 [CO4.3: Become a lifelong learner and be constantly updated with current knowledge and skills.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 [CO4.4: Acquire the Knowledge of laws, ethics and amendments made by the Government or the concerned authorities like cyber law, cybercrime, RTI, Contempt of Court, Sedition etc]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 [CO4.5: Deal with various issues and lead a balanced life in society by examining relevant case studies.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 -Praticals [CO1: Understand the importance of ethical values, awareness, Media Law,Media Act, Media issues and its application in professional life.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 -Praticals [CO2: Become a lifelong learner and be constantly updated with current knowledge and skills.]
SEMESTER IV Media and Related Law Paper 4 -Praticals [CO3: Deal with various issues and lead a balanced life in society by examining relevant case studies.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.1: Write a variety of mass media inputs, including news stories, press releases and advertising copy.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.2: Understand different forms of journalistic writing.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.3: Strengthen their abilities by gaining skills and knowledge of the present scenario which helps them to survive in the digital world.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.4: Play multiple roles in reporting situations such as crime, court, accident, science and technology.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.5 Prepare an interview schedule and conduct an interview with a celebrity.]
SEMESTER V Reporting Paper 5 [CO5.6: To prepare them to become a reporter, anchor, news reader, feature writer, columnist etc.]
Editing Paper 6 [CO6.1: Have skills in translation, editing a content or news, proofreading etc.]
Editing Paper 6 [CO6.2: Design newspaper pages]
Editing Paper 6 [CO6.3: Have hands on experience in photography.]
Editing Paper 6 [CO6.4: Become an Editor, subeditor, designer etc.]
SEMESTER VI Media Management Paper 7 [CO7.1: Gain knowledge on the structure and functioning of newspaper organisation.]
SEMESTER VI Media Management Paper 7 [CO7.2: Get trained on the ownership pattern and promotional activities.]
SEMESTER VI Media Management Paper 7 [CO7.3: Identify the media competition happening globally.]
SEMESTER VI Media Management Paper 7 [CO7.4: Excel in their respective fields through internships and visit to various channels]
SEMESTER VI Media Management Paper 7 [CO7.5: Obtain knowledge about policies and procedures to start a TV channel, Radio station or community radio centres.]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.1: Get a grip on Advertisement copy and marketing.]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.2: Understand promotion of ad campaign designing and become brand ambassadors.]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.3: Work in the advertising agency]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.4: Identify and acknowledge ethical values in promoting or producing ads.]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.5: Recognize the role of PR in government, private sectors and corporate sectors.]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.6: Get trained on Publicity, Propaganda, Public relation and public opinion]
Advertising and Public Relation Paper 8 [CO8.7: Organise an event, and engage in creative art designing ads, productions etc]