Over the past few decades, environmental and life-style associated diseases have been on the rise deeply impacting human health. The genetic impacts of many diseases remain largely unexplored. Due to expensive clinical trials and challenges that we face due to the rapid growth of antimicrobial resistance, alternative therapies and strategies to combat antimicrobial resistance are the need of the hour. DNA sequencing has emerged as an indispensable tool to enhance our understanding of the genetic basis of human disease and effective use of that knowledge to improve human health. Furthermore, Genome-wide association studies have provided substantial knowledge in understanding common variants associated with diseases. However, there is more to learn about the disease heritability and mechanisms for many of such findings.
Given the large amount of data generated from these experiments, substantial expertise is required to handle and analyze them in order to establish and elucidate the genetic basis of diseases through Bioinformatics. This can be made possible by integrating good knowledge of Big Data processing platforms along with programming skills, bringing in huge demand for trained personnel as Data Scientists. The mLAC in collaboration with Molsys Scientific seeks to provide a platform to Life Science graduates to transform/initiate their careers as potential Genome data Scientists, through this unique Post Graduate Diploma program in Genomics and Cloud Computing.
Nomenclature of the course
Advanced PG Diploma Program Genomics and Cloud Computing
1. To enhance the employability of the candidate by equipping the candidate with the essential skills in both Genome Informatics and Data sciences, particularly data generated from sequencing platforms
2. Enhance understanding of the basics of molecular biology, genome organization and their functional elements. Enhance knowledge of the differences in the genes/genomes of different species
3. To explore the principles and practical applications of the major analytical techniques used in molecular biology
4. Evaluate current experimental approaches
5. Enhance understanding and latest advances in sequencing technologies
6. Enhance skills with reading primary literature
7. Develop a strong foundation working on Linux platforms
8. Enhance programming skills using Scala, Biopython, Tableau, R, MS Excel (Intermediate level)
9. Develop a thorough foundation in Statistics and data visualization using R and MS Excel
10. Develop key skills in Data Analytics and Machine learning
11. Enhance Data Mining skills using latest tools
12. Understanding handling Big Data and developing skills in Big Data processing tools and file systems based on knowledge in Hadoop and Spark
13. Understanding of Cloud computing, learning to develop, deploy and scale-up applications on the Cloud. Data security and data management in virtual platforms.
Candidate must have secured 40% in aggregate and completed a four-year bachelor degree in any of the science stream or post-graduation in any of the science stream. B.Tech/M.Tech (Biotechnology/Bioinformatics/CS/IT), MBBS, MCA, BSc/MSc. ( Any Life Sciences discipline or Computer Science ), PhD (Life Sciences/ Machine Learning/Statistics/Computer Science).